Chinese Medicine to Support Other Fertility Treatments
In countries with a long historical association with traditional Chinese medicine, it is a common practice for couples wanting to start a family to engage traditional Chinese medicine practitioners.
Typical support programme could consist of Chinese herbal medicine, acupuncture, cupping, moxibustion, and or tui na.
Many health practitioners may recommend acupuncture and other traditional Chinese medicine techniques as an adjunct treatment that may assist with IVF treatment. There is continuing research about how acupuncture and other traditional Chinese medicine techniques can assist with the effectiveness of IVF treatment and you should consult your treating practitioners about how acupuncture may be able to help you.
Chinese medicine perspective on infertility
On top of conventional medical theory on infertility, according to traditional Chinese medical doctrines, infertility might also be attributed to the imbalances or insufficiencies in the following physical properties:
- Insufficiency of yang energy and qi in the kidney
- Stagnation of the liver’s qi
- Blood stasis and overall qi stagnation
- Phlegm and Dampness
Causes and signs of infertility in women and men
- Issues with fallopian tube such as blockage or salpingitis
- Uterine conditions such as polyps, endometriosis, fibroids, adenomyosis, and cancer
- Ovulation disorders
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Genetic issues
Signs and symptoms:
- Irregular or painful periods
- Fluctuating hormones causing changes to skin condition, such as acne
- Changes in sex drive and appetite
- Dark hair growth on the lips, chest, and chin
- Hair loss or thinning
- Weight gain
- Poor or failure of sperm production
- Low sperm number
- Positive anti-sperm antibody (AsAb)
- Vas deferens issues
- Sperm teratogenesis from chronic exposure to toxic substances
- Failure of sperm DNA integrity
- Genetic abnormality
Signs and symptoms:
- Changes in hair growth
- Changes in sexual drive and appetite
- Pain, lump, or swelling in the testicles
- Problems with erections and ejaculation
- Small, firm testicles.
Contact us for more information on this topic on fertility.